Carlton Ware was founded in 1890 by Wiltshaw & Robinson and continued being managed by the successors of Wiltshaw until 1966 when the company was taken over by Arthur Wood & Company (Longport). The company continued to produce under the Carlton Ware name until 1889 when the company went into receivership. The name was briefly revived in 1990.
The embossed designs for which Carlton Ware is known started in 1925. Their products were typically hand-painted. There are a great many fans and collectors of the many Carlton Ware patterns.